KTL uses Microsoft Office 365® and SharePoint® as dynamic information management tools that can be customized to provide streamlined, centralized information management and consolidated reporting to all levels of the organization. Using a platform that is already available in many organizations provides a simple, cost-effective approach to meet business and overall program information management needs, while offering the familiarity that encourages employee buy-in.
KTL has developed standard frameworks for EHS, food safety, and quality management that include our most commonly used tools and templates in SharePoint. We use these frameworks as a starting point to create modules where our clients can maintain compliance information in their own SharePoint sites. These modules make up a comprehensive compliance management system, including:
- Compliance calendars and task trackers – Efficiently manage compliance obligations and tasks, track other project activities, and maintain the elements needed to create a robust compliance management system.
- Document control – Provide an organization-wide framework for central and secure storage, organization, and access of documents and records.
- Mobile inspection forms – Allow employees to quickly and easily complete forms from a mobile device—from daily inspections (e.g., forklifts) to near-miss information—as it is happening.
- Dashboards and data analytics – Provide a user interface and integrated view of data pulled from multiple modules in an easy-to-read display.
KTL’s Approach to Information Technology
KTL’s team is made up of EHS, quality, and food safety professionals with the technology expertise to design and build scalable systems that allow organizations to more efficiently and effectively manage compliance and business processes. We integrate and apply IT, along with compliance know-how to create technology solutions. This ensures that systems are built from the perspective of the people who will be using them—in the field, in the plant, in the office, in the board room—so they function the way you need them to.
KTL’s objective on any technology solution we provide is to design the system and modules with the end in mind. That means considering the company’s immediate issues/needs within the context of the overall business need, and then formulating platforms/systems, as required, into an aligned system. We look at the big-picture, desired state versus the current state, and determine how technology can be used to reach that end.
Our approach includes:
- Leveraging and expanding existing SharePoint sites
- Structuring the system according to existing management system processes and compliance requirements
- Assisting with population of existing program documentation and data
- Incorporating mobile form capabilities for collection of data via tablets or phones, where appropriate
- Providing training to site managers and general users, as needed to ensure implementation success
KTL offers one platform (i.e., Microsoft 365) with multiple customizable solutions to meet the organizational and overall compliance needs. This offers the following functionality and benefits:
- Simplify management of compliance requirements and task assignments to prepare for regulatory inspections and improve overall compliance.
- Easily retrieve records through central and secure document, data, and records storage.
- Create a clear audit trail, particularly for remote audits.
- Provide remote/mobile access for home-based staff and audits, including checklists to capture data via phones, tablets, or PCs—any time, anywhere.
- Allow access to data across locations that can be used for trending/predictive analytics and to better inform decision-making.
- Provide greater visibility with dashboards and alerts for issues that need attention across the entire organization.
- Capture institutional knowledge to ensure operational continuity/sustainability.
- Improve use of internal technology, communication, and data sharing through a low-cost, in-house platform supported by most IT departments (i.e., familiar Microsoft tools).
- Create overall efficiencies in compliance management.