Coulter Wood, CEM, CPEA
Areas of Expertise: Energy management; environmental sustainability initiatives and conservation projects; multi-media environmental auditing; energy audits and studies; environmental compliance (CAA, CWA, CERCLA, EPCRA, NEPA, OPA, RCRA, SARA, SDWA, TSCA); Title V, operating, and construction permits; Phase I/II Environmental Site Assessments; air emissions inventories, hazardous waste generation and disposal tracking, and storm water sampling reports; site characterizations and remedial investigations.
Education/Certifications: B.S. in Geoscience, University of Iowa; Certified Energy Manager (CEM), Certified Professional Environmental Auditor
Coulter is an environmental compliance and energy management leader with over 20 years of industry and consulting experience in providing expert regulatory and technical guidance, conducting energy and environmental compliance audits, leading corporate sustainability efforts, leading environmental capital expenditure projects, and managing energy sourcing and procurement.
Coulter has executed numerous environmental compliance audits as both a third-party consultant and an internal corporate representative to industrial manufacturing, agricultural, and commercial facilities throughout the U.S., including multi-site portfolios, OSHA reviews, and ISO 9001 and 14001 reviews. He has extensive knowledge of state and federal environmental regulations, including the CAA, CWA, CERCLA, EPCRA, NEPA, OPA, RCRA, SARA, SDWA, TSCA.
In addition, Coulter has provided oversight on a variety of remedial projects, including those at large refineries, manufacturing facilities, oil and gas research campuses, and others. He has qualified surveying experience on investigation and construction sites throughout the nation, as well as extensive experience in field documentation and construction oversight, including the completion of daily field notes, photographic documentation, boring logs, well construction and sampling forms, instrument calibration logs, health and safety forms, etc.
Prior to joining KTL, Coulter served as the Energy Manager and Senior Environmental Engineer for a Fortune 300 food manufacturing company. As Energy Manager, he was responsible for sourcing and procuring energy; managing, tracking, and reporting sustainability usage and cost data; conducting energy audits and studies; and providing sustainability project support, including analysis, measurement, verification, and incentive acquisition. In his role as Senior Environmental Engineer, Coulter developed and implemented the corporate environmental management system; managed environmental permitting needs; provided expert technical guidance on the laws and regulations impacting environmental compliance; and assured the accurate and timely submittal of environmental compliance reports.
Some of Coulter’s career highlights include the following:
- Developed Title V, Operating, and Construction Air Permit applications, including supporting emissions stack testing and completing environmental inspections and reporting.
- Oversaw the construction of a $2.6 million wastewater plant in Wichita, Kansas and a $1.8 million wastewater plant in Osceola, Iowa as the lead environmental engineer; prepared bid documents, including design drawings, scopes, charters, communication matrices, and timelines; reviewed proposals and selected appropriate vendors prior to working onsite managing the construction of each facility; coordinated all contractors and led weekly project meetings, including progress updates and onsite safety meetings.
- Completed air emissions inventories, hazardous waste generation and disposal tracking, and storm water sampling reports.
- Performed site characterizations at state voluntary cleanup sites with VOC, SVOC, and metals contamination; conducted site visits, evaluated vertical and lateral extent of detectable concentrations of contaminants, developed geologic history and cross-sections, prepared final site investigation report and remedial objectives report.
- Served as Project Scientist on more than 100 leaking underground storage tank (LUST) site characterizations, remedial investigations, risk-based corrective action, and storage tank system closures; modeled contaminant plumes and developed work plans, fee estimates, and final reports.
- Provided oversight for several large environmental remediation and investigation projects throughout the country as the site Health and Safety Officer; performed daily health and safety briefings, conducted safe work practice audits and field checks, prepared documentation.
- Redesigned an ISO 14001-based environmental management system, including policy writing, training, and reviewing and updating sections.
- Led a variety of capital projects related to air emissions, water, wastewater, solid waste and recycling, hazardous materials, and hazardous waste; researched, identified, trialed, and implemented cutting-edge alternative technology.
- Prepared Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPPs), Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasure (SPCC) Plans, and related National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) authorizations and permits.
- Managed corporate environmental sustainability initiatives and conservation projects related to water, energy, and solid waste; designed and implemented a sustainability database management system to track and report sustainability and environmental metrics.
- Managed Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments (ESAs) for industrial, multi-family residential, and commercial facilities throughout the U.S. and abroad.
Coulter has his Bachelor of Science degree in Geoscience from the University of Iowa and is a Certified Energy Manager (CEM) and Certified Professional Environmental Auditor (CPEA).